Saturday, April 11, 2009

Facebook; A College Fad Taken Over by the Baby Boomers


This online news story came from The New York Times. Its title, “Is Facebook Growing up Too Fast?” gives a clear insight to what will be read about over the next four pages.
The article evaluates the rapid changes that Facebook has made in the five years that it has been around. Starting in Mark Zuckerberg’s Harvard dorm room, this social network has expanded to over two hundred million users in just five years.
Today, the little changes that Facebook makes to keep up with all of its users and to keep a fresh face on the web site tends to spark distaste for its users and often causes little groups to pop up speaking out against the new innovations.
Facebook started as a way for college students to connect and became a popular replacement to the clustered MySpace almost instantaneously. It was a social network that gave college students the opportunity to be in their own community away from parents, employers and high school students.
Within months, the site was opened to high school users and today, adults seem to be just as addicted to the social networking tool as the college crowd has been for the past five years.
It is frustrating to have to constantly reject my own mother’s friend requests on a social network that I share with my friends. Clearly, Zuckerberg realized the profitable possibilities to opening up the networking to the rest of the world; however, as a college student, the fact that Facebook is accessible to my grandmother and sixth graders with their trendy new iPhones makes me want to delete my Facebook for good.
Will I? Not a chance.



2 comments:

  1. It is pretty frightening to read the terms of use that everyone must agree to before creating a facebook. I would assume that most users, including myself, did not read it before joining. The fine print basically informs us that anything and everything we put on facebook is not our property once it is published to facebook. I am very interested to see what will happen to the 600 photos tagged of me several years from now. I guess it is a good thing that I am not a celebrity or "public figure."

    Will I delete my facebook for good?
    Just like you said, "not a chance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our generation is like no other generation to ever walk the planet. As I read this article, I can't help but think of John Zogby's speech when he came to speak at the University of Oklahoma. He said the generation which is 18-30 year olds will be called the "globals". He said almost 54% of us have passports and have studied abroad and one-fourth of us expect to work in a foreign country in our lifetime. Zogby says Facebook and other social networking is the reason we see the world with no borders. We can talk to friends on the other side of the world or friends sitting right next to us. Facebook has connected us all, no matter what our ages.

    ReplyDelete